Monday, August 18, 2008

God Gave Us Heaven


Bergren, Lisa Tawn. 2008. God Gave Us Heaven.

God Gave Us Heaven is the newest in the "God Gave Us..." series by Lisa Tawn Bergren. I haven't read the previous titles, God Gave Us You, God Gave Us Two, and God Gave Us Christmas. But I'd be curious to read them now after reading this one. The books feature a polar bear family, a Christian polar bear family of course. And I would imagine that they all share one thing in common--though again it's pure speculation on my part--a curious cub that just happens to ask important questions. I'm not complaining. I tend to ask a lot of questions myself. Some deep, some not so much.

Here's how it starts:

"Papa, what's heav'n?"
"Why, heaven is God's home...
the most amazing place we'll ever get to see."
"More amazing than Glacier Bay?" Little Cub asked.
"Glacier Baby is the best place ever."
"Yes, Little Cub. Even better than Glacier Bay."

I liked this one. I did. Yes, it was cutesy. But it worked. It was informative, descriptive, and sound--theologically sound that is. Not that it goes into every single detail that is in the Bible. Not that it goes into theological matters on an adult level. We're talking basics, the essentials, and this one does get those right. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one to Christian parents.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

2 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing this, it looks like a sweet book and a nice series too.

Tracy said...

I would just like to say thanks for your timely posting. Our family loves this series and hadn't realized there was a new book.

During the past week I lost my grandmother and immediately went out to purchase this book for my 5-yr old. Although she's briefly experienced the topic of death (with the passing of another great grandma last fall) this book helped to reinforce her feelings and thoughts on death and heaven. Of course it brought up additional questions for her to ask; however all were welcomed.

This book made it easier for me to get my arms around the huge topic of death and heaven and helped to understand how much I needed to share with my daughter. Thanks again for your timely post !!